Senin, 15 Juli 2013

More on Author Branding

I really enjoyed what Susan Kaye Quinn said about the Author Branding last week. It's something I've been thinking a lot about.

I am passionate about branding and feel 100% confident that the "me" I represent online is truly, well, ME. However, my brand doesn't represent my stories very well at all--and the reason is that it's simply not possible. And the reason for that? *I* am not one story. I am not only Desolation, but I am Jump Boys as well. I'm not only Jump Boys, I'm The Swift, Land Magic, Addicted, Blood Crown and the list goes on and on.

I write the stories in my heart and my heart is a bit psycho!

Have you seen the commercial starring musician Carrie Brownstein?


I could watch it all day, but I had a hard time finding it on YouTube because 1) I couldn't remember what she was advertising and 2) I honestly didn't know Carrie Brownstein before the commercial. But I persevered (thank you Google and YouTube search engines) and now I've listened to her music and watched her videos and could probably tell you anything you want to know about Carrie Brownstein. Why? Because of what she said in this American Express commercial.

She said,
I'm Carrie Brownstein and I get to be whoever I want.
Heck yes, she does! And guess what? So do we!

One of the privileges we enjoy as indie authors is freedom, like Sue said in her post. Feel like writing a fun middle-grade romp through space even though all you've written is dark, edgy YA angst? Go for it!

Think it might be fun to write a YA contemporary romance even though you've never written contemporary before? Why not?

Want to throw your hat into Manga, adult romance, or heck, create your own genre?

You. Can. Do. It.

Here's the thing. I've polled my readers on Facebook and Twitter and the answer is universal: Readers want a) to know when your next book is coming out, b) more about YOU and c) more about your stories.

Not once did someone tell me, "I don't care what else you write, I only want to read more about Desi."

Nope.

They told me, "I love everything you write!! Just give me MORE!"

And because we're indie and we can do whatever we want, more is what we can give them!

I think the notion that we are pigeon-holed based on the first story we publish is outdated. I do think we ought to have Facebook pages or websites for those looking for story-specific information, but as for your *AUTHOR NAME* blog/website, I think you should brand it YOU, not your stories.

Because you are many things, just as you have many stories to tell. I know I do. So while yes, I'm the author of the dark and angsty Desolation series, I'm also the author of a space-adventure done Hardy Boys style. And I have a hecka lot more stories (with much genre-hopping) to come.

I am Ali Cross, Author Extraordinaire. I am whatever I want to be. That's my brand.

Ali Cross is the sensei of the writer's dojo where she holds a black belt in awesome. She lives in Utah with her kickin' husband, two sparring sons, one  ninja cat, one sumo dog and four zen turtles.

She's the author the the young adult paranormal romance Desolation series, and the middle grade sci fi adventure, Jump Boys.

Find Ali online: Blog |Facebook Twitter

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar